Monday, January 7, 2008

Nate's Monthly Newsletter, Two Years Four Months

Dear Nate,

The fun continues with you, much to our amazement and delight. You are truly letting down your fellow two year olds; your reputation as tyrants is about to be severely damaged. I truly can't believe how well, and often, you listen to me without argument. You are an incredibly obedient child for someone so lively and sassy. Best of both worlds.



This past month has been all about Mama. You've handled it beautifully but it's clear to us that you're missing me a bit; you've been mostly with Daddy while I've been mostly with Jack. You're not throwing tantrums or hating Jack or anything we were warned about; it's more subtle - you want Mama to bring you your milk, or take you out of your crib, or put your shoes on. Whenever you ask for me, I try my hardest to be there for you.

Our friends Stacy and Matt were having a housewarming party last week, and I planned to go and take Jack with me. But I gave it some thought and decided to leave Jack home with Daddy and take you with me instead. We had a wonderful time, and it was nice to have some time with just us. I wish you knew that it was special time between us, so that you'd know how much I love you and how much I like to be with you. That'll come with time, I guess. As always, you were delightful and well-behaved at the party.



You like to copy everything I do these days; how I drink from my cup or eat my food. I've gotta watch myself closely to make sure I don't teach you something I don't want to! If I'm eating something, you want to eat it too. It's gotten to the point where I actually wait to have lunch while you're asleep; it's less complicated than negotiating with you about what you're allowed to eat and what you're not.

Your language is unfolding day by day. You repeat every new word we teach you, and ask me all the time: Who 'dat, Mama? What 'dat, Mama? You end almost every question or statement with "Mama" - more milk, Mama? Eating cereal, Mama? You're so earnest and interested in everything!



You're really understanding language now. Yesterday you were helping me prepare a dish for a party we were going to - you were sprinkling on the cheese and tomatoes (one sliver of cheese, and one diced tomato, at a time. A lesson in patience for Mama). Daddy came into the kitchen and you said "I helping!" I had definitely not used the word help or helping - you understood what you were doing, and what it meant. You use all sorts of fun phrases like "No way, okay?" and "Wait!"

Daddy plays a game with you where you push on his nose and he pretends to fall asleep; you push it again and he wakes up. You were in bed with us a few days ago playing the game with Daddy and then you reached over and played it with me for a while. You stopped and then pushed your own nose, paused for a minute, and when you didn't fall asleep you said "It broken!"



Your imagination is expanding, too. You were eating oranges the other day, and you stacked halves on top of each other and exclaimed "Snowman!" You love to run around the house being a scary monster or dinosaur, and roaring away. Being a rocketship looks a lot like being a scary monster, but it says "Whooosh" instead of "roar"! Today you were running around being a horse, and then a cow. Of course, Mama had to run and be a cow with you. She was happy to.

You're still wonderful with Jack, and you've made it all so much easier for us. You like to bring him his pacifier, and to share your bumper with him. You come get us when he's crying, and get excited to see him each morning. You give him hugs all the time, and lay down with him if he's on the floor. You're the best boy, Nate.



I love you like crazy.
Mama

No comments: